I added another two of the little b*******s to the car today, the first being the “shoulder” panel in the photo. By the way, in the background you can see the Fury sitting there all unloved and neglected. However, I’m going to have to start re-invigorating it soon. I’m hoping to get the J15 to a rolling chassis versi0n fairly soon so as to facilitate that.
The next thing I want to do is to add the side panel along the passenger side of the central tunnel. As on the Fury, I want to attach this with rivnuts so as to facilitate access to this area of the car. It’s rather less important than on the Fury, as there isn’t a propshaft in there, but nonetheless it would seem daft to make the top panel the only access.
While thinking about this, it dawned on me that as the handbrake lever was attached to the outside of that chunky upright, just near where the handbrake lever is loitering, then it’d make sense to make this panel in two pieces, one for the front of the space and one for the rear. As I’m using the same rear calipers as on the Fury I’m going to have to do the same sort of thing to increase the mechanical advantage of the lever as I did there. (Essentially a pulley giving a 2:1 advantage.)
I’m also going to have to arrange for the cable from the lever to turn around a corner, due to the geometry of the lever. Looking at Jeremy’s photos, a detail of which is shown here, he seems to have done this with a block of some plastic, and I could probably use a lump of Delrin for the same job, as used for the suspension bearings.
Now I’ve got the footwell panel in place, I can see the space that Jeremy uses for the fuel tank, as shown here. I did some preliminary calculations a while ago and the volume here was suitable. I did wonder about mounting the tank further rearwards, at the back of the passenger compartment, but this is probably the easiest place just at the moment.
Now I can see the space properly, I’ll measure up and draw out a tank. I can then get it made, as I’ve done before.